January Book Club
About the Event
Each month we will choose a book for our members to engage in learning and discussion centered in our life-long journies of being antiracist. Our December selection is Parts 4 & 5 of Dr. Ibrahim X. Kendi's book "Stamped From The Beginning," which continues the story of systemic racism in this county into the modern-day constructs of racism and how these racist systems were built to sustain this country and why they are so difficult to change.
How is this going to work? We will be having some on-going posts in our WCCAR book club Padlet to keep you engaged and discussing the book throughout the month. Once you have registered for this book discussion, you will be given access to the Padlet. We'll have some topics posted that you can comment on, engage in discussion with each other, and ask questions. Our Padlet group is meant to challenge you to dig deeper into the content and engage in applied learning.
Then, at the end of each month, we will have a large group facilitated discussion on the book. (This event that you are registering for).
There are THREE rules of Book Club:
- You are responsible for either buying your book or audiobook.
- We are all at different places in our journey with anti-racism education, and we will embrace the discomfort that will come in our new learning.
- You don’t HAVE to read the entirety of the book, BUT... you DO have to commit to being present and engaged.
What do we need to do next?
- Get the book if you haven't done so yet.
- Sign up at the beginning of each month for the club by registering for this event. Participation needs to be known at the beginning of the event, so please indicate if you are in by the beginning of the month, please.
- Download the Padlet app if you have not done so yet.
- Start reading and keep an eye out for updates on Padlet for discussion posts and engage in the conversation.